Sunday, March 14, 2010

Saturday Night Live


I'm sure some weeks it's difficult for the writers of SNL to wring the funny out of the previous week's news but some weeks it's like the universe conspired to give you every joke you need. This was one of the good weeks with Senator Massa's resignation and bizarre list of reasons as to why he resigned. During one skit Massa is giving his Senate exit interview and is explaining why what happened between him and his interns is no big deal and the interviewer (Kristen Wiig) says "You keep explaining this like I'm supposed to say, 'Oh! That's no big deal!'". That is exactly what it feels like every time Senator Massa opens his mouth, grown men don't tickle other grown men until they can't breathe! At least I don't think they do. If your experience is different I'd love to know so I can avoid you when I see you on the street!

Then they devoted a lengthy segment of the Weekend Update (always the highlight of the show) to the Massa intrigue. They even brought in Jerry Seinfeld to do a "Really?!? with Seth and Jerry" segment that was pretty funny. I still don't know what snorkeling is and I'm fine with that.

The special guest for all this was Jude Law and I had totally forgotten that the last time he guest-hosted was the night of the whole Ashley Simpson lip sync debacle. I half hoped something crazy would happen with guest-band Pearl Jam but alas, every thing went off without a hitch. Jude was OK and did the best with the material he was given but after you run out of Massa jokes there's not much left.

Good show, watchable but not the best I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment