Sunday, March 14, 2010

Caprica


I love good Science Fiction. When it's done right it gives us a window into the human condition unparalleled by any other genre. Of all the Sci-Fi I've watched over the years (and it's been a lot) I don't think I've ever seen it done better than the BattleStar Galactica remake of a few years ago. Because of my love for that series I was incredibly excited about the prospect of a spin-off but having seen the first 6 episodes I'm on the fence. It's not bad, in fact at times it's very good, but it just doesn't have the emotional punch of the original series. I think I've gotten to the point of watching it for curiosity's sake rather than because I care about the characters and what life has in store for them.

In the most recent episode "The Imperfections of Memory", we see both fathers continuing their search for what matters most to them. Daniel Graystone is trying to get his robot up and working to save his company and Joseph is tracking down leads to find his daughter in the virtual world. It's Joseph's plight that resonates strongest with me, if your daughter (or any other loved one) died, what would you do to bring them back? Joseph had a digital copy made and now that copy is out in the digital world and Joseph is working hard to find her and be reunited.

Daniel, meanwhile, is feeling pressure from his board to deliver a workable Cylon or he loses his beloved Pyramid team (think "football") and eventually his entire company. He's hit nothing but roadblocks but it looks as if he has at least been put on the right track by his assistant. In fact at the end of the episode it appears he even recognized his daughter in the Cylon. It should be interesting to see what happens there.

All in all, this show feels like it's getting better and having spent years with BSG, I trust this writing staff to deliver an incredible TV show eventually. What do you think? Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment