Monday, March 15, 2010

Batgirl #8


I have to admit that this is the first issue of the new Batgirl series that I have found even remotely interesting. In the past it seemed like far too much time was taken up trying to justify Stephanie Brown being in the costume. Her lack of skill and experience got her killed (since ret-conned) in No Mans Land and she doesn't appear to have gotten any better. In fct her most interesting characteristic was her on-again off-again relationship with Tim Wayne. (formerly Robin now Red Robin)

In fact it's not lost on me is that what I liked most about this issue was the Red Robin guest appearance and her interaction with him. You can feel the discomfort between these two heroes who really don't know where they stand with each other. Tim feels like she betrayed him and Stephanie feels like she did what she needed to do at the request of Batman. As both heroes find themselves with the common goal of protecting Leslie Thompkins they got to put their past behind them and just fight ninjas. Honestly, that sounds like great therapy.

I was close to pulling this book off my read list but I think I want to see where it goes for a few more issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment