Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Did You Know You Can Price Match More Than Just Groceries at Walmart?

2013-10-21 15.32.04


Are groceries the only thing you can save on at Walmart?  Let me tell you a story.


Our microwave just crapped out on us last weekend so we were in the market for a new one.  I looked at all the ads to find the best deal I could.  Dian’s only criteria was that it needed to be at least 2 cubic feet because that’s how big our last one was and she didn’t want to go smaller.


After much research I finally found the one for us, a Panasonic microwave that Fry’s had on special for $99.  I headed out to Fry’s only to discover they were sold out.  No doubt a loss-leader that was short-stocked to get me in the door and buy a more expensive unit.  Disappointed I left to check out Walmart’s prices and was surprised to see the exact same model there but for $159.  All they had was the floor model unfortunately so I headed up to Customer Service to see if I could buy the floor model at a discount.  Did you know Walmart will not sell floor models of appliances?  I didn’t but apparently it is a hard and fast rule because they weren’t budging.


The good news is that once I explained what I was doing they basically assigned me to a dedicated Walmart Housewares employee (to get me out of the customer service line) who then called around to area stores to find the model I wanted.  (BTW if any Walmart IT people read this post, there should be a way to check the stock of area stores from the terminal.  Every other retailer in the world has that ability, Walmart should have it also.)


Once my microwave was located I headed out to the store it was at to find that was set aside for me to pick up.  I showed them the Fry’s ad and they knocked $60 off the price enabling me to get a $160 microwave for $99.99.  It was an easy process and every Walmart employee I met was incredibly helpful.


Next time you are in the market for a household appliance, be sure to check your local ads and then head to Walmart to save!



Did You Know You Can Price Match More Than Just Groceries at Walmart?

No comments:

Post a Comment